Saturday, 12 September, 2009

Transience

This world, and all the intriguing little thingies it contains, could do with a little more permanence.
Take for instance these things, which look in this picture like the most unremarkable kind of plasticky loopy objects imaginable - which is precisely what they are. 
It wasn't always so, however.
At a party I went to a few weeks ago, I was handed something out of a cylindrical box, a thing that to my eyes looked like a straw.
"Bend it," I was told.
And suddenly, the thing, having lost its straightness, now gained glowiness. Upon fastening its ends to a little flexible plastic tube, I had on my wrist a glow-in-the-dark bangle! Very soon, I had two!
You can imagine all the childlike wrist-wriggling that ensued - not just mine, but of all the others at the party similarly entranced. Especially enthusiastic, and even triumphant, I thought, was the wriggling of wrists circled in blue light. I admit now that I coveted the blue bangles. Mine, perfect in every other way, weren't blue, but green and orange.
The next day, the bangles glowed only feebly; the day after, not even that. They still sit in my shelf, ignored sometimes, looked at wistfully other times. My mum asked me the other day if she could use them to keep the curtains from flapping about.
I wonder what the others did with theirs. Especially the blue ones. Do they still glow?

1 comments:

Shamik said...

Love your blog :) And this post, awesome :) And yes, I never get lyrics too, its always the music tht draws me ... n i kno a bful song wen the music made me feel the same way wen i finally read the lyrics ... good to kno thr are other indians out thr who are not attracted by lyrics too