Monday, 29 June, 2009

Such is life

In a shelf not far from where I sit is a notebook. Its cover says Sketch Book 100 Pages.
In another shelf, not far from the shelf in which the notebook lies, is a box. The box contains pencils, six in total, of different graphite-to-clay ratios. A sharpener – Twin Sharpener, the box says – came free with the box of pencils. The Twin Sharpener is actually two sharpeners, of different diameters, in one.
I haven’t put the notebook, the pencils, or the sharpener to use, yet.
Someday I will.
Someday, I shall pick up a pencil, most likely the HB, and with its sharp end make a pattern, a rudimentary curve, upon a page of the Sketch Book. That curve may cause other curves to materialise, or it may not.
It may instead cause me to look around frantically for an eraser. An eraser may exist in this house, maybe in a shelf not far from the shelf the Sketch Book lies in. Or it may not.
On the day the HB pencil and the Sketch Book come in contact with each other, no eraser will be found. What will happen is this – in vain I will search for an eraser, and upon finding none attempt on a new page to create a satisfactory rudimentary curve, fail, and put the Sketch Book back in its shelf, after tearing out the pages with the unsatisfactory rudimentary curves on them, crumpling them, and tossing them in the bin.
The sharpener and the five other pencils in the box will have served no purpose.
All night the visions of a completed sketch will dance in my brain, teasing, tormenting.
The next day, I will find an eraser, in a shelf not far from the Sketch Book and the box of pencils, a shelf whose every inch I would have probed the previous day. Faber Castell, it will say, or maybe Natraj. Or it may say nothing, and look and smell like a slice of cartoon lemon instead.
By then, the visions that had swirled on the page the previous day, orbiting the unsatisfactory rudimentary curve, will have departed the retina of my mind’s eye, forever, or till the next time the eraser disappears.

12 comments:

Tashi said...

Hey, I have a blank sketchpad and a box of pencils lying around as well. Haven't thought about those lemony erasers in a while. They sucked when it actually came to erasing stuff though.

Ghanshyam Nair said...

Yeah. But they smelled awesome. And dude, we need to do the marbling we have been wanting to do for so long.

Tashi said...

We totally should. Yeah, they did smell the awesomes. I hope I still have them Iris cards.

Ghanshyam Nair said...

And I hope I can find that box of oil paints, after all that shelf-rearranging my mum did.

hormazd said...

that's way too deep and squirmingly plausible kk.

oof ya! said...

yes but what does a cartoon lemon taste like?

Ghanshyam Nair said...

@ Homie
Squirmingly plausible - I like that!
@ oof ya
We need to find out.

Jean said...

Your posts never disappoint! :)

Random Red Fire said...

I love how you write about the so called 'irrelevant' things and make them seem so relevant!

Ghanshyam Nair said...

@Jean and Random Red Fire
Thank you!

Srivatsan Gopinath said...

You use pencils to draw?!! Thought you only used biros...

Ghanshyam Nair said...

@ Wats
Yes, and that's part of the problem. I cannot draw with pencils without leaving smudges of graphite, clay and fingerprints all over the place. And so I prefer pens, where the result is a bit of a lottery.