Sunday, 26 November, 2006

The twelfth day of Christmas...

On the twelfth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Twelve Drummers Drumming
Eleven Pipers Piping
Ten Lords a Leaping
Nine Ladies Dancing
Eight Maids a Milking
Seven Swans a Swimming
Six Geese a Laying
Five Gold Rings
Four Calling Birds
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Well, this is something we had to sing during our western music classes, back in the days when I wasn’t five feet tall yet. I loved those classes, but not this song. I mean, the lads were totally against this number, and you can plainly see why. The lasses seemed to sing this song with great gusto, and I suppose this was the first inkling us lads got regarding how materialistic the fairer sex really is…

Well, what put us off the most, I suppose, was the ‘true love’ thing… yuck!!! I mean, talk about true love to a fourth standard kid and that’s the reaction you’ll get.

True love seems like a pretty nice concept now, though… and I suppose I’d have thought the same back in the fourth as well, only I wasn’t dumb enough to admit it… something I failed to live up to in later years… heck, I was the butt of all the schoolboy humour in the seventh standard for saying something as stupid as:

“She’s a girl, she’s my friend… yeah, I suppose you could call her my girlfriend…”

Coming back to the issue at hand, western music classes were so great that we didn’t think of the loss when we moved into the sixth, and we found it being replaced by something called history. We had the greatest history teacher in the world; and we, or I at any rate, never really thought about western music classes anymore. But those songs still linger in the memory, and every now and again, I’m reminded of a stray line, or incident, which brings the upward curve to one’s lips…

I have one question though… just supposing my true love (who is a merely hypothetical construct here) gives me a partridge in a pear tree, or any of the other wonderful avian life-forms mentioned above… where in god’s name am I supposed to keep it? Does that mean that my bookshelf and cricket bat must make way for an annoying bird and god forbid, its family? I mean, I’m sure French hens are thought of very highly by hen collectors, but I ain’t one of ‘em!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe. i cant imagine you being a hen collector! bwahaha.
cute post.. i used to love music classes at skool too.. having studied in a convent, we knew alllllllllll those hymns. pretty ones :)

Shyam said...

there are cobwebs on my nose... a brave foray into the obscure i must say.

that stuff dont make sense to ya coz u a veggie. havent u heard the line - the way to a mans heart is through his stomach?

u gotta see the subtexts :D

KK Iyer said...

ah, yes... now i see the point of it all. but if i wanna eat partridge, i wouldn't want to lug a pear tree along as well. and don't tell me it's for dessert. please... pears are okay, but a pear tree?

Vivek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vivek said...

Just see what happens when your wedding bells ring.. You might be coerced into keeping a whole truck load of pear trees!!!

Nice post dude....

Harini said...

i used to luvvvvvvvvv music classes too! we learnt a bunch of hymns though.. and not any "true love" stuff.. bt this song looks cute too! :)
pretty post..

KK Iyer said...

and why are your earlier posts listed as anonymous? something to do with the changeover to the new blogger?